Frequently Asked Questions

If you don’t find answer to your question, feel free to contact us

For regular updates, “Like” our Facebook page.

Which visa should I apply for?

The New Zealand visa that is right for you depends on your personal situation, what you want to do in New Zealand (visit, work, study) and how long you want to go for. At Relocate Down Under we can help determine the best option for you and your family, both for your immediate needs and any long-term goals you have.

As a first step, complete our free eligibility assessment and we will determine the best visa for your situation.

Who can apply for a New Zealand Partnership Visa?

If you are the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you are living together in a genuine and stable relationship, you may be eligible for a New Zealand Partnership Temporary or Resident Visa.

Depending on how long you have been living together and what you wish to do in New Zealand, you may be able to apply for a Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa, a Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa or a Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa.

Take our free New Zealand Partnership Eligibility Assessment to find out if you’re eligible.

Do I need a job offer to get a work visa?

The short answer is yes – if you are applying for an Accredited Employer Work Visa you will need to have an acceptable job offer in order to get your visa. This will need to be from an Accredited Employer who has had a Job Check application approved. You will also generally need to have a job offer of skilled employment to have enough points to be invited to apply for a Skilled Migrant Resident visa.

Although most job advertisements will specify that you must have a valid work visa or the right to work in New Zealand to apply, it is absolutely fine (and also legal) for you to apply for a job first and then submit your application for your visa, once you have been offered the job. You obviously cannot start work until you have a valid work visa approved by Immigration New Zealand, though.

This is where we come in. As a client of Relocate Down Under we will help you on your search for employment by advising which types of roles you need to apply for to be granted a visa and checking that your job offer meets the New Zealand Immigration requirements. We will also make sure that you have all the necessary documents ready for when you receive your job offer, so that your new employer does not have to wait any longer than necessary for you to start work. Any potential employer will have the reassurance that, since you are working with a Licensed Immigration Adviser, your application for a visa should go as smoothly as possible.

What is an Accredited Employer Work Visa?

The Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV) has been introduced from 4th July 2022, to replace six previous work visas (including the Essential Skills Work Visa, Talent Accredited Employer Work Visa and Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa).

In order to be eligible to apply for an Accredited Employer Work Visa you need:

  • an offer of employment with an Accredited Employer who has had a Job Check approved
  • your offer of employment will need to be full time, paid at the market rate and at or above the New Zealand median wage (which is currently NZ$27.76 per hour).
  • Unless your occupation is on the New Zealand Green List or pays at least twice the median wage, your employer will need to prove that they weren’t able to find a suitable New Zealand candidate for the role you have been offered.
  • You will need to be suitably qualified for the role through either a recognised qualification or a specified number of years of relevant work experience, and have an acceptable standard of health and character.


How long will my work visa be granted for?

An Accredited Employer Work Visa can be granted for the period the employment is offered for, up to a maximum of 3 years.

If your role is exempt from the median wage threshold (and you earn less than the median wage) you can hold an Accredited Employer Work Visa for up to 2 years.

Will I be eligible for a Skilled Migrant Resident Visa?

The Skilled Migrant Category is based on a points system which is calculated across a number of different factors including your age, offer of skilled employment, skilled work experience and qualifications. You also need to meet health, character and English Language requirements.

There are 2 stages in the process of getting a Skilled Migrant Resident Visa. The first stage of is to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). EOIs must hit a points threshold to be selected from the pool. If you are successful at this stage, you will be sent an Invitation to Apply.

The fastest way of understanding if you could be eligible for this visa category is to take our free eligibility assessment. A Licensed Immigration Adviser will review your situation and be able to advise whether you have enough points to be invited to apply for a Skilled Migrant Visa.

If I apply for a Skilled Migrant visa, can my family come with me?

Yes, you can include your partner and dependent children in your Skilled Migrant Visa application. When your visa is approved, you will all be granted residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, enabling your partner and dependent children to work and study in New Zealand too.

How long will it take for my application to be approved?

The time it takes for Immigration New Zealand to process a visa varies considerably depending on the visa type. It will also depend on whether Immigration New Zealand need to request any additional information.

Working with us, we will also ensure that your application is as complete as possible at the point it is submitted, which will help your visa to be processed quicker.

We can also apply for temporary visas on your behalf, whilst you wait for a resident visa (which has a longer processing time) to be approved, enabling you to start your New Zealand dream sooner.

What do your fees cover?

Our fees cover all the work that Relocate Down Under will carry out on your behalf with regards to your visa application and/or immigration matter. This includes the cost of phone calls, photocopying and other office related tasks.

Any other costs, such as the Immigration New Zealand application fees, obtaining a medical or police certificate, getting documents certified, getting your qualifications assessed, English language tests, using an interpreter and courier fees, are paid directly to the relevant supplier by you.

Why should I use Relocate Down Under?

Deciding to move to New Zealand is a big decision, which takes up time and effort and can be very emotional. Many visa applications get declined not because the applicant isn’t eligible, but because they’ve misunderstood a key requirement or missed out an important element in their application. A visa application with mistakes can be time-consuming, incur extra costs and even prevent you from immigrating. It can also be very stressful, especially if you have a new employer waiting for you to start work.

At Relocate Down Under we take away that stress from you. We focus on making sure your application is as complete as possible and complies with the latest immigration instructions, to make the process as smooth as possible for you. As Licensed Immigration Advisers, we will generally hear about changes to immigration policy before it becomes common knowledge.

Under New Zealand law, only Licensed Immigration Advisers are permitted to provide advice on New Zealand visas. By engaging the services of the Licensed Immigration Advisers at Relocate Down Under, you are ensuring the advice you receive complies with New Zealand Immigration Law.

Being based in the UK means that we are available to speak at a time that is convenient to you. And having the expertise of a Licensed Immigration Adviser to support you every step of the way, can give you peace of mind.

We’ve been through the process ourselves, so understand how it feels from both sides. Which is why we make it our priority to give you the best possible experience as you set off on your New Zealand dream. Your dream is our priority.

If you want to find out more about how we can help you, feel free to contact us.

Contact us

    Contact us