Accredited work visa roles exempt from the median wage threshold
A transition arrangement has been put in place to allow for certain roles within the construction, care, tourism and hospitality sectors to be recruited at slightly lower than the median wage, on an Accredited Employer Work Visa.
A pay threshold must still be met:
- Specific jobs in construction and infrastructure, and tourism and hospitality must pay at least NZD $25 an hour.
- Specific jobs in the care workforce sector must be paid at least NZD $25.39 an hour.
An AEWV holder paid below the median wage in these cases can hold the AEWV for 2 years before completing a stand-down for 12 consecutive months outside New Zealand, when they can get another AEWV for 2 years.
The migrant worker can get another visa for a job paid above the median wage without having to complete a stand-down period.
List of roles exempt from the median wage threshold:
Construction and infrastructure
- Metal fabricator
- Fitter (general)
- Painting trades worker
- Fibrous plasterer
- Solid plasterer
- Wall and floor tiler
- Kaiāwhina (hauora) (Māori health assistant)
- Disabilities services officer
- Residential care officer
- Aged or disabled carer
- Nursing support worker
- Personal care assistant
- Therapy aide
- Child or youth residential care assistant
Tourism and hospitality (exemption only in place until April 2023)
- Hotel service manage
- Hotel or motel manager
- Accommodation and hospitality managers (not elsewhere classified)
- Licensed club manager
- Conference and event organiser
- Travel consultant
- Travel agency manager
- Tour guide
- Caravan park and camping ground manager
- Diving instructor (open water)
- Hunting guide
- Gallery or museum technician
- Trekking guide
- Commercial housekeeper
- Hotel or motel receptionist
- Bar attendant
- Fast food cook
- Food trades assistants nec
- Hospitality workers nec
- Cafe worker
- Pastrycook’s assistant
- Doorperson or luggage porter
- Gaming worker
- Travel attendants nec
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, get in touch.