From 19th July 2021, the maximum duration of Essential Skills visas for jobs paid below the median wage ($27 per hour), will increase from 12 months to 24 months. The maximum duration of Essential Skills visas for jobs paid above the median wage will remain at three years.
In addition, the New Zealand Government have announced a simplified process for renewals. This includes:
- removing the requirement to provide a police certificate or medical certificate with an Essential Skills visa application, if one has been provided previously
- removing the labour market test requirement and requirement to provide an employment agreement, if the applicant meets the streamlined criteria.
The streamlined criteria applies if an applicant is remaining in their current, full-time employment and they hold one of the following visas:
- a work visa of any type (including a Working Holiday visa), or
- a student visa with conditions allowing unlimited work rights, or
- a Critical Purpose visitor visa either granted for 6 months as a critical health worker, or granted for more than 6 months as an ‘other critical worker’ (including those coming in under a class exception).
Find out more on Beehive.govt.nz
If you have any questions, get in touch