Expiring work visas granted open work visa extension
On 9 May 2022, open work visas were granted to those in New Zealand holding one of the following visas expiring between 9 May and 31 December 2022 (inclusive):
- Essential Skills Work Visa
- Post Study Work Visa
- Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa
- Eligible Ukraine nationals granted a temporary visa on 10 March 2022.
The new open work visas:
- are valid from 9 May 2022 until two years from the expiry date of the previous visa,
- allow the holder to work for any employer anywhere in New Zealand and,
- allow the holder to leave and re-enter New Zealand.
New visas have also been granted to partners and dependent children of the new open work visa holder.
To be eligible, family must have:
- held a visa based on their relationship to the work visa holder that expired between 9 May and 31 December 2022 (inclusive), and
- been in New Zealand on 9 May 2022.
The new visa is valid from 9 May 2022 until two years from the expiry date of the previous visa.
Partners and dependent children who held work, student or visitor visas based on their relationship to the work visa holder will be granted the same type of visa.
If you have any questions, please get in touch.