Latest border reopening plan
The New Zealand Government has widened the entry eligibility and eased isolation rules for travellers to New Zealand.
From 12th April 2022
From 11:59pm Tuesday 12 April, the following groups who still meet the conditions of their visa can travel to New Zealand without a border exception:
Work visa holders
- Holders of a work visa currently outside of New Zealand.
- Holders of a work visa currently in New Zealand may leave and return.
Visa holders must have access to evidence that they still have a job offer or current employment when arriving in New Zealand.
Dependents of workers
- Dependents of work visa holders with valid student visas. Those who are currently in New Zealand may leave and return.
- Australian citizens and permanent residents arriving from anywhere in the world.
Student visa holders
- Holders of a valid student visa currently outside of New Zealand.
- Holders of a student visa currently in New Zealand may leave and return.
- A new border exception for 5000 new and returning international students
Visa holders must have access to evidence that they still meet the funding requirements for students and that they are studying, or will resume studying, the same course at the same education provider that their student visa was granted for.
From 1st May 2022
From 11:59pm Sunday 1 May, the following groups will also be able to travel to New Zealand without a border exception.
Dependents of workers
- Dependents of work visa holders who hold a valid visitor visa.
Visitor visa holders
- Holders of a visitor visa with valid travel conditions from any country. This includes people currently outside New Zealand and people here who leave and want to return.
Visa waiver travellers
- All those who can normally travel to New Zealand without a visa (visa waiver) as long as they hold a valid New Zealand electronic Travel Authority.
Other information regarding travel to New Zealand
Travellers must comply with all visa conditions – they can check travel and other visa conditions online.
Travellers who have renewed their passport need to transfer their valid visa to their new passport before they travel to New Zealand.
See the latest Covid-19 restrictions for travelling to New Zealand.
Most visa holders must be fully vaccinated to enter New Zealand. All visa holders must complete a travel declaration.
If you want to discuss how the changes affect you and your options to travel to New Zealand, please get in touch.